Have you ever wondered how to cook a great tri-tip in the oven? If so, then you’re in luck – with this guide, we’ll share all the details on how long to cook a tri-tip in the oven.
Perfectly cooked and flavorful tri-tips can easily be made at home with just a few simple steps.
You’ll learn how to season your meat, prepare it properly for cooking, use an accurate cooking time and temperature, and finish by ensuring that your final product is delicious!
What Is A Tri-Tip?
Tri-tip is a triangular cut of beef from the bottom sirloin primal popular in California and the western United States.
It’s sometimes called a triangle steak, Santa Maria steak, or Newport steak.
It has loads of flavor, yet it is one of the most economical cuts of beef you can buy. This cut is ideal for grilling, smoking, or roasting.
Tri-tip has a great beefy flavor with just enough marbling to keep the meat juicy and tender when cooked properly.
To get the most out of your tri tip steak, it’s important to understand how and why to prepare this unique cut of beef.
Beef part illustration
Different Types Of Tri Tip
- Traditional Tri-Tip – The traditional version is marinated with garlic, onion, and other herbs. It can be grilled or roasted and is often served with vegetables or a side of potatoes.
- Santa Maria Tri-Tip – This variety pays homage to the original style of tri-tip that comes from Santa Maria Valley in California. The marinade includes red wine vinegar, garlic, onions, spices, and herbs.
- Teriyaki Tri-Tip – This type of tri-tip is marinated in soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil to give it a unique flavor. It can be grilled or roasted and served with rice or vegetables.
- Smoked Tri-Tip – Usually smoked over wood chips, this type of tri-tip is marinated with a mixture of spices and herbs, then cooked over indirect heat until it reaches the desired level of doneness.
- Barbecued Tri-Tip – This type of tri-tip is usually cooked on a barbecue grill over direct heat and marinated in a sweet and spicy sauce. The finished product is juicy and flavorful.
- Korean-Style Tri Tip – Using a combination of sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and other spices, this type of tri-tip is marinated for several hours before being grilled or roasted. The finished product has an intense flavor that’s both sweet and savory.
Grilled tri-tip steak marinated with Santa Maria sauce
How Long To Cook A Tri Tip In The Oven
Cooking a tri-tip in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes per pound, depending on the thickness and size of the roast.
Be sure to check the roast’s internal temperature with a meat thermometer to ensure it has reached an internal temperature of 145°F (medium rare) or 165°F (well done).
Allow the roast to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
How Long To Cook Tri Tip In Oven At 375
The total cooking time for a 3-pound tri-tip roast should be around 45 minutes in an oven temperature of 375 degrees Fahrenheit, but the exact timing will depend on the thickness of the cut.
To ensure your meat is cooked evenly throughout, use a digital thermometer and aim for an internal temperature of 135-145 degrees Fahrenheit.
Let the roast rest for 10-15 minutes after cooking to give the juices time to redistribute before carving.
How Long To Cook Tri Tip In Oven At 350
Cooking a Tri Tip in the oven at 350°F requires you to bake it for approximately 20 minutes per pound.
Depending on the size of your cut, you may need more time.
To ensure that your tri-tip is cooked through, use an internal thermometer and cook it until its temperature reaches 145°F.
Letting the meat rest for about 5 minutes before cutting will also help ensure that all the delicious juices stay locked inside.
How Long To Cook Tri Tip In Oven At 275
A good rule of thumb is to allow approximately 30 minutes per pound. If you are cooking a three-pound Tri Tip, it should take around 90 minutes.
However, since all ovens can vary in temperature and baking time, the best way to check that your Tri Tip is cooked is with an instant-read thermometer.
The internal temperature should read 145 degrees Fahrenheit, and then you should allow the meat to rest for at least three minutes before slicing.
[display-posts id=”1589″ image_size=”thumbnail” posts_per_page=”1″]
How Should You Choose Tri Tip To Bake?
When choosing a tri-tip to bake, consider the size and shape of your pan or baking dish.
For example, a larger cut of beef may not fit in a smaller baking pan.
You will also need to decide if you prefer a leaner piece of meat or one with more fat content.
A fattier cut of tri-tip can provide more flavor and juiciness and increase cooking time.
When selecting a tri-tip to bake, make sure to check the marbling of the meat.
The intramuscular fat content should be visible when you look at it closely.
A good cut will have some marbling in the meat for flavor and some fat content to help keep it from drying out during baking.
Finally, consider the cut of meat you are looking for.
Tri-tip is a tender cut and will cook quickly, but if you want something tougher that can withstand long cooking times, check for other cuts, such as chuck or brisket.
Whatever your preference, select a cut of meat with the right fat content and marbling for your desired result.
Raw tri-tip steak
How Should You Prepare A Tri Tip?
When prepping a tri-tip, start by trimming off any excess fat and silver skin.
This will help prevent your steak from becoming tough when cooked.
Once the trimming is done, season the steak with salt and pepper.
For added flavor, you can use other seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder or smoked paprika.
Ingredients And Equipment To Cook A Tri Tip In The Oven
– Tri-Tip Roast
– Salt, pepper and other desired seasonings
– Olive oil or cooking spray
– 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
– Baking dish or roasting pan
– Aluminum foil
– Meat thermometer (optional)
[display-posts id=”1563″ image_size=”thumbnail” posts_per_page=”1″]
How Should You Cook A Tri Tip In The Oven?
Cooking a tri-tip in the oven is easy and delicious. To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Next, pat the tri-tip dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper on both sides and rub it with olive oil.
Place the tri-tip on a roasting pan or baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
Bake the tri-tip in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping it over halfway through.
Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of your meat; the medium-rare tri-tip should register between 130 to 135 degrees Fahrenheit when done cooking.
Once ready, remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing against the grain.
Tips For Baking Tri Tip Perfectly
- Start with a high-quality cut of tri-tip: The quality of the tri-tip roast is key to getting a flavorful, tender result. Choose a cut with good marbling, even shape and consistent thickness throughout.
- Trim excess fat: Excess fat won’t add flavor or moisture to the roast and can make it difficult to cook evenly. Make sure to trim away any excess fat from around the edges of the roast before baking.
- Season well: Before you place your tri-tip in the oven, season generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder and herbs of your choice for maximum flavor. Make sure to rub the seasoning all over the roast for even flavor.
- Bake at a high temperature: To get a nice brown, crusty exterior on your tri-tip, bake it in an oven preheated to 375°F or higher. Higher temperatures will also help cook the center of the roast more quickly and evenly.
- Don’t forget to rest: Immediately after baking, tent the roast with foil and allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes. This will give time for the juices to settle and redistribute throughout the roast, resulting in a juicy and flavorful result.
- Slice against the grain: To get the tenderest slices of tri-tip, make sure to slice it against the grain. This means slicing perpendicular to the muscle fibers so that the slices are cut into small pieces.
[display-posts id=”1561″ image_size=”thumbnail” posts_per_page=”1″]
How Can You Determine Whether Your Tri Tip Is Baked?
You can know whether your tri-tip is baked by using a meat thermometer.
You should insert it into the thickest section of the steak and check the internal temperature.
You should cook a Tri-tip until it reaches 145°F (63°C) internally.
You can cook it longer to reach a higher temperature for an even more tender steak if desired.
Once it has reached the desired internal temperature, remove it from the oven and before slicing and serving, let it rest for five minutes.
Baked tri-tip with pepper
What Should Oven-Baked Tri Tip Be Served With?
There are lots of great side dishes that go well with oven-baked tri-tip.
You can choose from traditional favorites such as roasted vegetables like potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and onions.
This classic combination pairs perfectly with savory beef.
Some other great sides include a crisp green salad or garlicky sautéed spinach to provide a side of freshness.
You could also try creamy mashed potatoes or polenta to provide a comforting contrast to the beef.
If you want something more substantial, serve oven-baked tri-tip with roasted sweet potatoes and grilled asparagus.
Lastly, no meal is complete without bread; serve some crusty sourdough rolls on the side for a delicious finishing touch.
Tri-tip steak with asparagus
How Should You Store The Leftover Tri Tip?
Once you’ve cooked your tri-tip, the best way to store it is in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
You can also wrap it tightly in plastic or aluminum foil for up to four days.
If you plan on eating the leftovers within a few days, you can keep them at room temperature as long as they’re out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources.
To freeze your leftovers, wrap the tri-tip tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place it into an airtight freezer container or bag.
Properly stored, frozen tri-tip can last up to six months in the freezer.
[display-posts id=”591″ image_size=”thumbnail” posts_per_page=”1″]
How Should You Reheat The Leftover Tri Tip?
You can reheat leftover tri-tip by using an oven. Turn on and preheat the oven at 350°F, then wrap the meat in foil and place it on a baking sheet.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. You can also use a microwave, but be sure to heat it in small intervals so you don’t overcook the meat.
You can also use a slow cooker or stovetop to reheat the tri-tip. Just make sure it’s cooked thoroughly before serving.
As with all leftovers, reheating tri-tip should be done carefully and with attention paid to food safety.
Common Mistakes About How Long To Cook A Tri Tip In The Oven
- Not preheating the oven: The first and most important step for cooking is to ensure your oven is preheated. Make sure your oven is hot enough before you put in the tri-tip so that it cooks evenly.
- Overcooking: Your tri-tip should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F or 63 degrees C for medium-rare. Any higher than that, and the meat may be dry, so it’s important to use a thermometer and pull your tri-tip out of the oven at the right time.
- Not allowing the meat to rest: After you pull the tri-tip out of the oven, it’s important to let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. This will let the juices settle, giving you a juicy and flavorful piece of meat.
- Not seasoning properly: Adding just the right amount of salt and pepper helps to bring out the flavors of your tri tip and make sure it is cooked to perfection. Sprinkle on generously, then let the meat develop a beautiful sear in the oven.
- Not using an accurate cooking time: Every cut of tri-tip is different and will require different cooking times. To get an accurate estimate of how long it should take to cook your tri-tip, you can use a thermometer to check the internal temperature.
[display-posts id=”586″ image_size=”thumbnail” posts_per_page=”1″]
What Is The Ideal Temperature For Roasting A Tri-Tip?
The ideal temperature for roasting a tri-tip is between 350 and 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
For the most succulent, juicy results, aim to cook it at 375 degrees. This will ensure that your tri-tip is cooked properly without drying out.
Can Tri-Tip Be Cooked At 180 Degrees?
No, the tri-tip should not be cooked at 180 degrees. Low temperatures like this will result in undercooked and tough meat.
The ideal temperature is between 350 and 375 degrees Fahrenheit for the best results.
How Long Should Tri-Tip Be Cooked At 200 Degrees?
Tri-tip can be cooked at 200 degrees for approximately 45 minutes.
However, the actual cooking time may vary based on the thickness and size of your cut of meat.
Do You Prepare Tri-Tip Quickly Or Slowly?
Tri-tip is a very tender, juicy cut of beef that does not require long cooking times.
Generally, it is best cooked quickly over high heat to prevent the meat from becoming tough and dry.
To get a nice sear on the outside and keep the inside juicy, we recommend searing your tri-tip for about 2 minutes per side at a high temperature and then finishing it in the oven at 350°F for about 15-20 minutes.
Always use a meat thermometer to ensure your tri-tip is cooked to the desired level.
Can A Tri-Tip Be Cooked To 200 Degrees?
Yes, a tri-tip can be cooked to an internal temperature of 200°F.
This is considered to be the “safe” temperature for all beef, so you don’t need to worry about foodborne illness when cooking your tri-tip up to this temperature.
[display-posts id=”628″ image_size=”thumbnail” posts_per_page=”1″]
Do You Need To Cook Tri-Tip Slowly And Gently?
Yes, the tri-tip needs to be cooked slowly and gently. High heat will dry out and toughen the meat.
The best way to cook a tri-tip in the oven is by roasting at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes per pound or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the roast reads 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
How Can A Tri-Tip Be Cooked To Make It Tender?
To make tri-tip tender, it is important to cook it slowly.
A great way to do this is by roasting the roast in the oven at a low temperature and allowing the internal temp of the meat to get up to around 165°F before taking it out.
This will allow the fat in the meat to render and make it extra tender.
Additionally, ensure that the tri-tip is cooked evenly by flipping it during cooking.
What Temperature Should A Tri-Tip Be Cooked To?
The ideal temperature for a tri-tip roast is between 145-160°F.
It is important to use a meat thermometer to ensure that the tri-tip’s internal temperature reaches its ideal range, as this will ensure that it is cooked properly and evenly.
How Is Tri-Tip Prepared In A Convection Oven?
Tri-tip is best cooked in a convection oven. To prepare the tri-tip, preheat your oven to 350°F.
Rub olive oil and seasonings of your choice all over the tri-tip, then place it on a roasting pan lined with foil or parchment paper.
Place the pan in the oven and cook for 20 minutes per pound (or until a thermometer registers the temperature of 140°F).
Allow the tri-tip to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
How Long Should A Tri-Tip Bake At 400 Degrees?
A tri-tip should bake at 400°F for approximately 15 minutes per pound.
Conclusion: How Long To Cook A Tri-Tip In The Oven?
Depending on the size of your tri-tip and desired doneness, you should cook it for between 25-30 minutes for each pound in an oven preheated to 300°F.
You can test its doneness by checking the internal temp with a meat thermometer.
Once it reaches 125°F (52°C) for medium-rare or 135°F (57°C) for medium, your tri-tip is done and ready to be served.